Tim Hare wrote:
One of the good intangibles about z/OS (and, MVS/ESA, and MVS/XA, and.. ) reliability is that when you call support with a problem, they usually work on the problem. With those "other guys" and even with some vendors on z/OS who code on other platforms and then port to z/oS, you often spend the first day or two convincing them that there *is* a problem and that the problem *is* in their code. IBM's mainframe support, on the other hand, usually assumes that you are *not* a clueless person and that when you call, a problem *does* exist. While it's hard to measure, I do believe that this contributes to a faster problem resolution cycle and therefore improved reliability.

It goes _much_ further than that...

*We* have a culture that focuses on post-mortem analysis -- probably because we "grew up" with batch processing. Our processes involves making the system and infrastructure code capable of capturing as much useful information as possible at the time of a failure. An SVC dump contains storage, state information, system trace, etc. IPCS provides formatters for system data and a programmable infrastructure for creating/inserting our own.

*They* have a culture of attempting to reproduce errors on a development machine with a debugger present -- a system that simply cannot find subtle, timing- or location-dependent, or environmental errors ... plain and simple. I have seen dumps being taken on other platforms (e.g., Windows). But, I have yet to find a programmer that knows how read one. :-(

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc