-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Lizette Koehler
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Better way to count records

I have about a billion ways - well not quite - to count records in a
data set.  I am looking for advise as to what would be the most
efficient way to run either under TSO or BATCH.

We do have FILEAID and a couple of other tools.  We are z/OS V1.7.

<SNIP>

You might try a sort with output to dummy. IDCAMS also gives a count of
records REPROed (IDC0005I NUMBER OF RECORDS PROCESSED WAS n).

Later,
Steve Thompson