Thanks for sharing the info on this Bruce:

<snip>
Remember that it is true that a SYSDSN ENQ is held until the end of last

step that references the dataset.  this is also true for GDG bases.  My
test showed that this is true, both ENQs were released at the end of the

first step.  But if you have a job that creates a GDG generation in one
step and reads it in another step, the GDG base name will be ENQed
EXCLUSIVE until the end of the later step (EXCLUSIVE is required when
creating a new generation).
</snip>

I knew that the creation of a new GDG entry did an ENQ on the base (and
hence the reason JOBA was not executing) but did not realize that
referencing the new GDG entry in a subsequent step would retain the
original ENQ EXCLUSIVE.

Sean Smith
Bank of America