Wayne Driscoll wrote:
Ok, time for me to spend some time on the soap box.  What is the
TECHNICAL reason for not allowing the Mainframe to access the network?
I don't understand this at all.  Every PC in your company probably can
access the internet, allowing employees to spend time browsing the web,
yet the mainframe can't be connected to the internet to allow for you to
QUICKLY get maintenance?  As a response to Barry's statement, that
"after paying for the product, I still have to produce my own portable
media", when the means to connect the mainframe SECURELY to the internet
are easily available (and built into the hardware and software,
something that cannot be said for desktop machines). Ok, time for me to get off the soap box and back to work.

This reminds me of a Chris Craddock pet peeve -- the kind you cannot escape hearing given enough time and beer -- about modern mainframes and their operating systems having unique and spectacular capabilities that their users just obstinately refuse to exploit!

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc