An 8K CSECT is fairly small? That seems odd to me. 99.99% of my CSECTs are
less than 8K. Load modules (which are what I am scanning) are a  different
story -- most all of my load modules are much larger than 8K due to  multiple
CSECTs in the load module.

I understand the linkage editor can split a record anywhere it wants.
However, why does that cause a problem if I am concatenating all of the records
 for
a load module into a single variable and scanning that variable? For
example...

searcharea = ""
do until EOF
   read record into newrecord
   searcharea = searcharea || newrecord
end
scan searcharea

I haven't done exhaustive testing, but the testing I did shows that the
result is what I expected (including when the records had an odd number of
bytes,
e.g., not on a fullword boundary). If my search string was split  across the
previous record and the new record, it is correctly "un-split"  in the
concatenated storage area.

Ira

In a message dated 5/1/2007 12:19:59 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

In  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 05/01/2007
at 10:44  AM, Ira Broussard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I tried it with  modules that had multiple CSECTs up to 8K per CSECT

That's still fairly  small, although it is posible to hit the problem
even so.

>I  don't understand why you think there would be a problem.

Because the  linkage editor and the BINDER can split text at  arbitrary
locations.

>One of my test load libraries contains a  block size of 6160
>resulting in CSECTs  spanning  multiple  records, and it still works.

Try searching for a string that straddles  text records.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz,  SysProg and JOAT
ISO position; see  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel/resume/brief.html>

For  IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to  [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the  archives at  http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html