From: GAVIN Darren * OPS EAS [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 4:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How to measure actual usage of BLSR buffers?

Far as I know there is no way to get actual usage statistics from any
kind of buffering (zOS, VSAM(AMP), LSR, GSR, BLSR or IMS LSR's) unless
it's a 3rd party product.

However you can determine how effective they are being used by doing the
following.

Monitor the number of Pages of core the job Step uses from SDSF, and
multiply the number of pages used by 4096 to get the amount of memory
the step used in bytes.

Calculate the expected memory usage if max buffering of all BLSR pools
(Block size(CISZ) * Buffers) that could be used.

If the two figures are within a megabyte (or more) with the job step
higher then the expected usage so you've likely used all the BLSR pools.

If the job step runs with memory lower then expected buffering figure,
then you know that not all the requested buffering space was used.

It's not exact by any means, but might help.

Darren

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.