In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:24:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>No, I think it was because a DASD label could be UPDATED IN PLACE, as
opposed to CREATED.

You either create a volume label on the label track when there is no label
record there in the first place, or else there is one already on the track and
you change its contents.  You used IEHDASDR way back then (I think) to
create one, and CLIP to change one that already existed.  You could also  use
IEHDASDR to change the volume serial in place (if it already existed on the
label
track), but then you could call the process "recreate label in place"  or
"change label in place".  IEHDASDR probably did not care about the
pre-existence
of a volume label.  The CLIP software would not create one if  one was not
already there.  Since most shops had many mountable DASD  drives, CLIPping was
done often.  Today we use ICKDSF, which will  create a volume label or verify
the previous existence and contents of one and  then change its contents.

I think the only way to know exactly for what CLIP was the acronym is to  ask
the original author, whose identity I don't know.  Reminds me of the
de-acronyming of another useful utility from those days known as DEBE.  My
memory is
that it stood for "Does Everything But Eat", indicating its extreme
usefulness.  Then there was DITTO - DOS Inter-file something-or-other  Transfer
Operations (I think).

Bill  Fairchild
Plainfield, IL