We're in the midst of RLS implementation and much of it is working fine.
However, synchronizing batch jobs seems to be an issue.

We have a product (SYSB) that allows batch update of files that are open in
CICS. It's a "subsystem" that can also update the files when CICS is down
(provided the NOCICSOK option is used).

Prior to RLS with the CICS down JobA (non-SYSB read-only) and JobB (SYSB
potential update) coexisted and most probably synchronized via GRS).

Part of this RLS project is to add RLS=CR to the DD statement on our SYSB
jobs.

Last night JOBA was running when JobB started. Rather than execute (or
waiting on JobA to finish, JobB got IEC161I 240-0570, followed by IEC141I 013-
C8.

Explanation of IEC161I 240-0570

VSAM RLS access was specified for a VSAM RLS sphere which has LOG(ALL) or
LOG(UNDO) specified in the catalog. The address space issuing the OPEN is
not registered as a subsystem (for example, CICS) capable of performing
the specified level of recovery. (SUBSYSNM was not specified in the ACB
and an attempt was made to open a recoverable sphere.)

All true, but we need to coordinate execution of these jobs when CICS is up or
down (JobB works with CICS up).

Paul P