Folks:

Just in case some of you weren't around in the mid-80s doing development
and the like, IBM decided to go OCO (we will drop the cause of this
decision) and the CEO (Ackers - if I remember the spelling of his name)
promised that nothing would go OCO until it had been correctly
documented. NaSPA was hot on IBM about this and many of us watched as
this promise was, well, given short shrift.

Now to the subject: I pointed out in an ETR that certain routines from
IBM that I was using had doc that referred one to a macro to read it to
get the info to be used to invoke the routine sets in question.
Specifically, I was working on TCP interfaces that required one to read
Unix System Services macros to get the correct parameters. My point to
them was, they need to document those macros and the DATA AREAS.
["Sending one off to look at a macro source to get needed programming
info is a bit lazy (Unix System Services Programming: Assembler Callable
Services Ref). That would be tantamount to BCP telling you to look at
the source for GETMAIN to figure out how to set the bits necessary to,
well, you get the idea."]

The following is their [IBM's] official policy and response:

<direct quote from ETR>
ACTION TAKEN:
   Received following information from Debbie N. (USS ID group).
---
The strategic direction is to remove the data area books (JES2 and JES3
data areas have already been deleted), and the data areas will be
generated automatically from the code.  The z/OS USS ID group will look
into including the missing z/OS USS macros.
---
</ direct quote from ETR>

If this particular statement of direction sends chills through you as it
does me, then perhaps you need to make your voices heard.

--
Regards,
Steve Thompson