John,

I Googled '"out of band" FTP' and got a link to RFC 0529.  I'm no expert
in IP networking, but to my reading, out-of-band is sort of an interrupt
caused by the ABOR.  So, why did the client send the abort?  Could it be
the timeout value had passed?  I think the default is 120 seconds, but
it can be overridden.

If this is a batch job, you might check your EZA1617I messages in the
aborted runs and see if your transfer rate was running really slow at
the time.  We've found IP traffic to be so flaky that we coded a proc
that runs a REXX that attempts the FTP x number of times (4 as a
default), sleeping 30 seconds between attempts (adapted from something
we acquired from Terry Linsley somehow -- thanks, Terry).  And all our
batch jobs that need to FTP use the FTPRETRY proc - most of them are
successful on the first attempt, but many of them wind up taking 2 or 3
attempts.   And when the programmers discover a site they are FTP'ing to
that seems to fail a lot, they generally increase the timeout value too.

Anyway, our shop has viewed this unreliability in FTP transfers as SOP
(or WAD) and have adapted.

HTH,
Greg Shirey
Ben E. Keith Company