It has been some time since I worked on 3350s, but I believe the
described fault which lead to head crashes was an air filter somewhere
in the HDA assembly which eventually deteriorated and got onto the
platters.

OK, thanks for the info. I suppose by now one can assume that just
about all the filters have gone bad. And one can also wonder what kind
of supreme pain in the neck it would be to replace the filters.

--
Will