I've been tearing my hair out trying to install ECC, AbendAid, and XPEDITER. Compuware uses a brain-dead ISPF dialog to "help" generate JCL for the install. The dialog forgets variables and actually builds JCL that fails. Some examples:

- one volume for the SMP installs, no separate volumes for SMP, target, and DLIBs. Yeah, I want my DLIB datasets on the same volume as my target datasets, sure.
- DEFINE CLUSTER with no VOLUME parm (loved that one)
- loading the AbendAid DSECT file failed because they didn't allow for enough extents in the define for the file - even though I told it what datasets to use, it keeps using defaults so I have to change the JCL anyway - my favorite, the AbendAid viewer clist was generated with a LOAD instead of a CLIST library, so you get a cryptic TSO message that has to be looked up on IBMLink before you can figure it out

I could go on, but I have work to do. Now I know why nobody bothers reporting these error back to the vendors. You'd never get anything installed, so you just push through it. Even when you take the time to report it, they never believe you anyway.

Sheesh,
Tom Conley