that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ted MacNEIL) writes:
> I started with 3330's.
> And, I remember when STK (STC) showed us their first ICEBERG, and the
> size of the device was that of a standard conference table, weighed
> less and had the capacity of an order (or 2) of magnitude larger than
> the 3330 farm I first tended.
>
> That 3330 farm was less than 50 GB, and we were considered a medium to large
> site.
> (Running on a 3081-D)

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#58 3350 failures

silicon valley area had at least three fairly large vm370 customer
datacenters with good sized disk farms ... there was SLAC (lots of
collection from the accelerator) and both Tymshare and internal HONE
operation ... both extensive online, timesharing services
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#timeshare

HONE had somewhat started out with a number of cp67 installations to
provide "hands-on" virtual machine use for branch office SEs. recent
reference:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#65 Help settle a job title/role debate

It then transitioned to vm370 and lots of online, interactive APL
applications supporting sales & marketing ... i.e. at some point early
in 370 timeframe, there was transition where machine orders couldn't
even be submitted w/o having first being processed by a HONE
configuration.

In the mid-70s, the various (US) HONE datacenters were consolidated in
silicon valley area ... with what was possibly the largest single-system
configuration in the world at the time (large datafarm with load
balancing across large number of processors in loosely-coupled
configuration).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

another large datacenter in silicon valley was Lockheed's DIALOG (online
library titles and abstracts which has gone thru a number of owners
since that time) ... which had something like 300(?) 3330-clones in their
data farm (the basic service was MVS ... but lots of it was run under VM
... on clone processors).