In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 05/24/2007
   at 05:42 PM, "Thompson, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>While you and I agree it is SPAM, the U CAN SPAM act was passed into
>law -- perhaps it is not the bill our friend has quoted, but
>never-the-less it was passed into law.

Alas, yes, but S977 does *not* define spam and does *not* legalizes
it. What it does do is nullify various state laws that had provided
statutory damages and a right to private action.

>The U CAN SPAM act basically says that if you do not commit fraud
>with your subject line.....opt out directions.... Then you too can
>SPAM in the USofA.

No, it doesn't. It just makes legal action more difficult.

>So much for trespass to chattel

That isn't affected; S877 only overrides state laws that are specific
to e-mail. The problem is that unless you are a large provider a law
suit for theft by conversion, theft of service or trespass to chattel
will cost you more than the damages you recover.