Today, STP uses the same modem that the HMC uses to download patches
from IBM.  When STP uses the modem, it simply dials NIST in Boulder, or
whatever dial up time server a Sysplex Timer would use in your geography.  As
often mentioned, apparently IBM plans to enhance STP to be able to
synchronize with a NTP hierarchy in the future.

Brian