On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:17:12 -0500, Kenneth E Tomiak wrote:

>On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:39:16 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>>>
>>How do you round-trip and reconstitute an IEBCOPY-unloaded PDS on z/OS?
>>I know it's possible; I've done similar as an experiment.  But it's
>>tedious and scarcely worth the effort.
>>
>Far too long ago for me to remember. I'll bet, since it was when IND$FILE was
>my only option, I then ran it through TRSMAIN to get an FB file. At that point,
>a binary file is a binary file. When I switched to TRANSMIT I wrote my own
>rexx code to strip out the members on my PC.

Ah!  TRSMAIN.  I know that works.  And I believe you can TRSMAIN a PDS directly,
bypassing the IEBCOPY step.  (PDSE, too?)  Of course the data are opaque on the
PC.  I think the winner is TRANSMIT -- Isn't there a utility (CBT or PlanetMVS?)
that unwinds TRANSMIT on a subset of workstations.  Alas, I don't believe it's
open source and in a language portable to workstations not using the ".EXE"
format.

>Nowadays I run my own rexx code to take every member of non-loadlib PDSEs
>and create a sequential dataset with an IEBUPDTE ./ ADD control card in front
>of it. I then download in ASCII and I can open it with notepad. If I ftp it
>back
>up, I can either run it through IEBUPDTE or more often, I exclude all and
>find './' in column one. From there I can pick and chose which members I want
>to create in a PDSE.

Won't that fail spectacularly if the PDS contains members which resemble or are
IEBUPDTE command streams?  I deem it a design deficiency of IEBUPDTE that it has
(AFAIK) no way to escape/protect/quote lines that resemble IEBUPDTE commands.

>For a loadlib I use transmit.

Good for other things, too.

-- gil