The C language most definitely *is* a portable assembly language. The
original *NIX compilers actually translated the C source code into
the native platform assembly language. The compilers allowed inserting
"raw" assembly language, so the programmer could use platform-specific
coding.

Some of the C compilers today translate the C source code straight
into object code, which I despise.

If you want to see a manly C compiler, check http://www.dignus.com/
it generates HLASM output and has special "syntactic sugar" for
customizing the generated HLASM. It supports 64-bit pointers, access
register mode, inserting raw assembly language statements, referencing
machine registers in C source code, etc.

Even IBM uses Systems/C. IMHO, I think it's far superior to PL/S, PL/X.

Jeffrey D. Smith
Principal Product Architect
Farsight Systems Corporation
700 KEN PRATT BLVD. #204-159