In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 05/28/2007
   at 06:06 PM, Kenneth E Tomiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>The transfer scheme maintains the x'05' that was in your file to
>begin with.  The problem is perceived on the mainframe side because
>the applications are  not written to expand your tab character.
>EBCDIC does know what a x'05' is,

WTF? It's been part of EBCDIC since Old Man Noach cornered the market
in Gopher Wood.

>simple a single character that is not viewable on your 327x terminal

It's a character that has special significance to a 3270; would you
expect, e.g., SF, SBA to be visible?

>Those people using PC programs to create
>mainframe data need a smarter non-mainframe program to insert the
>number  of spaces they really wanted or learn to enter spaces when
>they want spaces.

It's hard to imagine a program smart enough to know that the user
wanted spaces. Often the user enters a tab because a tab is what is
required, and replacing it with spaces would break the application.

>We can whine the mainframe does not work like the PC or we can whine
>the  PC does not work like the mainframe. Be fair and whine both
>ways.

No; learn enough to understand when whining is inappropriate. In both
directionms.