"Mark Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> We are looking into two products, VDR (Virtual Data Recovery) & VTAR
> (Virtual Tape Advanced Recall) from OpenTech Systems to both manage
our
> 3494 Virtual Tape environment and as an aid in migration to TS7700
> technology.
>
> Does anyone have any experience  using these products or  know of any
> other products on the market.
>
> I just heard about this project and I don't know anything about these
> products.
>
> --
> Mark Jacobs
> Technical Services

I used TapeCopy to migrate from old to new virtual tape systems - it
worked flawlessly.  I finished weeks ahead of schedule.

We still have some customers who insist on receiving tapes rather than
file transmissions.  We didn't like the idea of generating the data on a
tape and then sending that 1 copy offsite to the vendor.  So we set up a
process using TapeCopy where the applications writes their dataset to
virtual tape and then the tape  librarians mail a copy made with TapeCopy
off to the customer.  We always have the original onsite in case of any
dispute or need to send another copy.

Almost all of our application tape datasets are written to the virtual
tape system and then stacked on what we call a container tapes (300GB ea)
using VDR.  At DR we recover the last week to 10 days worth of data into a

VTS.  If we have an application that needs data older than that, we
recover it as needed.  It all works very smoothly, although it does take
some time to recover that amount of data.  Using VDR also gives us the
advantage when an application needs both an onsite and offsite copy of the

same data - they create it once and then we create the offsite copy for
them.  We use CA1 vault codes to drive the process and stack data with
similar expiration characteristics - it's not perfect but works pretty
well.

If you want more detailed info, please feel free to contact me offlist.
darth keller
This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the
addressee(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying,
forwarding or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof.

Thank you.