Greetings to all!  It's time to start thinking about the Summer SHARE, August
12-17, 2007 in San Diego, California.  We have an excellent slate of sessions,
and a bevy of willing speakers. All we need is you!  We hope you'll be able to
attend, and please look us up if you do.  Check out http://www.share.org for
registration details.

PLEASE NOTE:  As a "heads up" for regular SHARE attendees, several Projects
within the MVS Program at SHARE have scheduled a strong technical program
starting Sunday afternoon at 1:30 pm for the San Diego SHARE.  Please make
sure you check the online agenda tools before making travel arrangements, so
that you get to San Diego in time to take advantage of sessions you don't
want to miss which are being offered starting Sunday afternoon.

Skip Robinson and Brian Peterson
MVS Program Managers

Getting to the latest z/OS
--------------------------
z/OS 1.9 is just around the corner.  Have you skipped a z/OS release or two?
The latest z/OS release includes many new features you need to know about -
for example, are your JES2 exits ready for the major changes in z/OS 1.7?
SHARE is the place to get the latest information to help plan your migration.
Highlighted sessions include:

Migrating to z/OS 1.9 Part 1 - Get Ready
Migrating to z/OS 1.9 Part 2 - Get Set
Migrating to z/OS 1.9 Part 3 - Go!
What's New in z/OS 1.9
What's New in z/OS Health Checker for z/OS 1.9
z/OS 1.9 System REXX - An Introduction to SYSREXX
ServerPac: Enhancements from z/OS 1.7 through z/OS 1.9
z/OS Maintenance Best Practices
z/OS Deployment Best Practices
JES3 z/OS 1.9 New Features
JES2 z/OS 1.9 and SDSF Preview
z/OS 1.8 User Experiences
Workload Manager Update for z/OS 1.8 and z/OS 1.9

The Sysplex Timer is Dead!
--------------------------
Since the beginning of Parallel Sysplex, our installations have depended upon
the IBM 9037-001 and 9037-002 Sysplex Timers to provide our sysplexes with
a common time source.  This technology has reached its end (withdrawn from
marketing at the end of 2006), and is replaced by Server Time Protocol (STP),
a new technology built into z9 and z990 servers.  Does "built in" mean
"simple"?
(Here's a hint: NO!)  Do you know when you must convert?  Do you know HOW
to convert?  What about planning for critical recovery considerations?  Come
to SHARE to find out the answers.

Replacing Sysplex Timers: Server Time Protocol (STP) Overview and Planning
Replacing Sysplex Timers: Server Time Protocol (STP) Recovery
Replacing Sysplex Timers: Server Time Protocol (STP) User Experiences
   Migrating to STP in the Development Lab

Introductory Sessions
---------------------
You've just joined the ranks as a new sysprog, or perhaps you've just picked
up some new job responsibilities.  Of course, you always get to support
everything you previously had.  How do you get up to speed quickly on the
new stuff?  Why SHARE, of course!

ISPF Diaglog Developers Boot Camp (three parts)
ISPF Users Boot Camp (two parts)
DFSMS Basics: SMS Basics (SUNDAY!)
DFSMS Basics: What is VSAM? (two parts - SUNDAY!)
DFSMS Basics: ICF Catalog Management
z/OS Basics: A z/OS Walking Tour (three parts - SUNDAY!)

CA-OPS/MVS
----------
On Sunday at SHARE, spend the afternoon learning more about CA-OPS/MVS
automation in these CA OpsXchange sessions.

CA OpsXchange: A Tour of Unicenter CA-OPS/MVS Event Management and
   Automation
CA OpsXchange: CA's Automation and Performance Update and Road Map
CA OpsXchange: Event Automation 101 for the Enterprise Server

System Programmer Topics
------------------------
In an OCO world, where can you go to learn about how things really work?
Why, SHARE of course! Here is a sample of the down and dirty sessions we
offer:

Handling Vendor Problems, or Problems with Vendors
ISPF Hidden Treasures
ISPF Panels
VSM Debugging (plus a Hands-on Lab!)
Problem Determination With Dumps: IPCS Tools For Problem Resolution
Message Flood Automation Built In to z/OS
CA's Experience with zIIP
RRS Diagnosis and Debugging

Hands-on Lab
------------
In the SHARE "hands-on lab" you will have a unique opportunity to take the
controls and actually perform installation and customization activities on a
live
system under the supervision of an instructor. Here's a sample of the topics
offered:

ISPF Boot Camp Hands-On Lab (two parts)
RMF Monitor III Data Portal Hands-On Lab
zMC Installation Workshop Hands-on Lab
Configuring OpenSSH on z/OS - Hands-On Lab
UNIX Shell Scripting - Hands-On Lab
Problem Determination with Dumps: IPCS Techniques Hands on Lab
How to Write an ACS Routine Hands-on Lab
How to Debug an ACS Routine Hands-on Lab
Learn to Program in Rexx Hands-on Lab
Exploiting z9 Crypto Hands-on Lab

Don't Miss
----------
In addition to the sessions above, consider these "don't miss":

MVS Program Opening and z/OS Keynote Presentation
Space Shuttle Usage of z/OS
Cheryl Watson's Hot Flashes
WSC Short Stories and Tall Tales
JES2: Esprit de Corps
Bit Bucket
z/OS SysProg Goody Bag

There will be literally hundreds more sessions presented at SHARE in San
Diego. The above list is a very small subset of highlights, just to help you
start
thinking.  For additional information, please visit the SHARE website
http://www.share.org.  We hope to see you there!

Skip and Brian