You may not have authority to specify the StorClass.
I believe that a RACF violation on the Storclas name would result in an allocation failure.

I believe that the only explanation is that his storclas ACS routine is checking for an input storclas (one specified by the caller as he did) and changing it to blank, which makes the dataset non-SMS. He needs to examine the ACS routine to see why this is happening.

Bottom line is that every shop handles explicitly specified classes differently.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR