<< snip >>

Some instructions on the zSeries are patent protected. That means that
writing any code or making any hardware which has an identical effect,
regardless of how it is done, can only be legally done if the
person/company doing the emulation has a patent license. The point is
that Intel may also have patents on some of the effects of one or more
of their instructions. I will say that I think this is unlikely or Intel
would shut AMD down immediately.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

<< unsnip >>

A very good point John, but IBM's past with Amdahl and Hitachi did not stop
them from the current suit.

Tom Moulder

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:03 PM