Gil,

The method is documented and is simple. The downloaded file is
especially encoded as it is downloaded. With a very simple encoding
method. Each data byte in the range 0x00-0xFE comes down unchanged. A
0xFF data byte is encoded as two bytes: 0xFFFF. A logical end of record
is encoded as 0xFF01. End of file is encoded as 0xFF02. 0xFF03 is
end-of-record combined with end-of-file. That's it. It works regardless
of anybody else's opinion. It is not often implemented in ASCII based
systems such as Windows or Linux or UNIX because they don't have RECORD
oriented architectures. But it does work for the z/OS ftp server. I
never said anywhere that it worked for any other server.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.