Ladies & Gents,

Just thought I would share this with everyone since I just happen to
stumble across it.

Our DFHSM tasks create an extraordinary amount of output in the job log.
Our SMS group would have to do a controlled shutdown and restart of these
tasks on a regular basis so that the output would not fill up the JES spool
as well as be small enough to be loaded into the JCL archive system.  We
found that we could use the JESLOG parm on the start command to make sure
that these are spun off when they get to a certain size.  You can also
specify a specific time of day to spin off the data.

You can find more information on the JESLOG parm in the JCL reference
manuals.

In order to use it on a started task, you can enter the start command like
this:

S xxxxx,JESLOG=(SPIN,yyyy)

where yyyy is the number of lines ( you can also specify yyyyK & yyyyM for
thousands and millions of lines)

OR
S xxxxx,JESLOG=(SPIN,hh:mm)

where hh:mm is the time of day