-- snip --

> As Sam has already pointed out, there is nothing available in native SMS
> other than the ACS test option.
Oh ye of little faith!  Since z/OS 1.7, there is a console command
SETSMS VOLSELMSG which will provide summary or detailed info about the
SMS allocation process.  It can be limited to specific jobs or dataset
names.  I haven't tried it but it sounds like just what he needs.
-- snip--

Thanks for the Info. Bruce. It's amazing what you can find in the manuals
if you just look!!

SETSMS VOLSELMSG(ON,ALL),JOBNAME(myjob)

returns some useful information that can certainly be used for analysing
allocation problems. You can get detailed information indicating why
particular volumes were not selected for allocation. Good stuff!

Another additional method is to use the SMS trace table.

SETSMS TRACE(ON),TYPE(-- specify type or ALL)

I haven't done this myself, so it could be that the trace table information
(formatted with IPCS and SMSDATA), is not useful for us.

John