Alan,

According to the Redbook: FICON Implementation Guide, SG24-6497, dated:
January 2006, Section 1.4.1 "FICON support for cascaded Directors" (Page
11), there is the following note:

Keep in mind that once a 2-byte link address is defined to a channel path, all
link addresses defined to be accessed from that same channel path must be 2-
byte link addresses (regardless of whether there is only one switch in that
link).

We chose different channel paths for our cascaded vs. 'direct' FICON control
units, however, I got hit by this restriction on the CHPID that had the
directors "CUP" address.

I have found it easier to just specify 2-byte link addresses for all control
units
on my FICON directors.  It works and avoids confusion.

HTH
Glenn Miller