I have to second Dean's question.  I've got a couple of ideas, one of which
I'm prototyping on Windows to get the architecture and design down
(eventually to move on to other OSes), and the other I'm using Don Higgins'
z390 product for basic testing.  But when I want to write I/O routines for
z/VSE (one of the eventual targets - z/OS is not a target because the
capability already exists there), I'm screwed.  I'd actually like access to
z/OS for research purposes, but I can't afford $10K/month.

Possible alternatives would be companies like MacKinney and Rocket, but (and
rightly so) they'd like an actual product to exist before marketing, etc.
And I don't think I could find a company that would allow me to use their
software for cheap (or free), even in exchange for a no-license charge.

And z/VSE (and z/VM) seem to be completely off the PWD radar.

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins