On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:18:04 -0500, Kenneth E Tomiak
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:55:38 -0500, Ed Gould
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>As I heard it, Corporate Executives, not system programmers, told IBM they
>needed the software installation simplified. ServerPac is the answer. It is
>dumbing down the field. You did mention looking at the apply, well here I am
>again stating if the newer people are not looking at the JCL, they are
>submitting they are certainly not looking at the output. Until it fails. As
>long
>as it works, submit and max return code 0 are all they believe they need to
>know. Sadly, I know a few people with years of experience who can not do
>much more than this. I have my own issues with Serverpac and post
>installation dialogs.

I think the *operative* words here are:  "Corporate Executives"
They just want systems programmers to make *LESS* money, so their
companies can make bigger profits and themselves get bigger bonuses.
Especially in the contracting / consulting business, be it Fed Gov't,
*any* gov't, etc.  They don't want to pay us for our experience and
expertise.  Just pay themselves the *BIG$$$* bucks.

Except for Service Bureaus or Time Shares.  (Gee, do they still exist?)

And with ServerPac, what you end up with are non-systems programmers, or
folks who work in DP/APPL/OPER/IT/IS (take your pick), who've just been
promoted and are still making peanuts$$.  Again, bottom line here. Then those
*Maroons* get an error and call someone.  Then the fun starts, ay?!
And thus, you have the *dumbing down* scenario.

Just my 2-cents worth.

.....mhyI