From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 12:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Quick AIX question rooted in a z/OS concept

You simply CANNOT DO THIS!! If you actually tried, you'd end up
scragging the UNIX filesystem. The only way to "share" data between UNIX
systems is via something like NFS (or GPFS or AFS or some other type of
thing).

This applies even in z/OS UNIX. If you create an HFS or zFS filesystem
and attempt to mount it on multiple z/OS systems which are not in the
same Parallel Sysplex with the appropriate setup, then you will "fry"
the UNIX filesystem. I've done it (by accident).

Trying to share a UNIX filesystem would be like trying to share a single
VSAM file in UPDATE mode between two different batch jobs on two
different z/OS images, and you didn't have RLS. There are some UNIX
filesystems (the aforementioned AFS or GPFS) which have something like
RLS so that filesystem information can be shared between the two UNIX
systems. UNIX buffers all the disk I/O into local caches. With two
separate UNIX systems, you have two separate caches and no
communications between them so that the caches remain coherent. Image
trying to run a multitask system with shared memory, but no "locking" or
other "safety precautions". You end up, eventually, with trash.

Bottom line: Not possible except with the aforementioned filesystems
such as AFS or GPFS. I am fairly sure the GPFS is an IBM filesystem for
AIX systems.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html