On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:22:15 -0600, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

>as i've mentioned before ... the other market force was that the
>previous personal computers had been do-it-yourself and hobbiest market.
>individuals had to justify the cost of the box for their own personal
>interest ... that included a lot of the software ... not a lot of
>off-the-shelf stuff ... so individuals had to do that themselves also.

I disagree.  When the IBM PC was introduced, it was most certainly not
distinguished in that regard.  There was in fact a lot of off-the-shelf
software
available for the Apple II, the Atari 800 and the TRS-80.  When it was
introduced, it was as much a hobbyist's computer as the others.

--
Tom Marchant