On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:23:28 -0400, John Eells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mark H. Young wrote:
><snip>
>> So if I had several DFDSS dumps on Virtual Tape (3490) and was copying
>> each of them off to just *ONE* real tape (3590), and stacking each as its
>> own LABEL=(#,SL) etc., using IEBGENER, it should work, YES?!
><snip>
>
>Others have offered alternatives, with which I have no
>experience, and they might very well work perfectly.  But since
>it is DFSMSdss dump data sets we're talking about, I think it's
>worth noting that COPYDUMP is the only IBM-supported way to copy them.
>--
>John Eells
>z/OS Technical Marketing
>IBM Poughkeepsie
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

John, I guess my complaint/argument is that IEBGENER is an IBM standard
tape copy utility.  Data on a tape is sequential (PS), regardless if put there
by
another IBM utility like IEBCOPY, IEBGENER, etc.  I'm sure I've used GENER
in the past to copy RECFM=U files?

Wouldn't an IEBCOPY dumped tape have RECFM=U ?

Just my 2-cents worth.

TTFN,
.....mhyI