On Jun 25, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Rick Fochtman wrote:
There are also companys that will give you all the education you ask for, because the rest of the compensation package is so shamefully poor. A catalog-shopping firm I know of comes to mind. It was common knowledge that you went here, picked their pockets for all the education you could get in 2-3 years, then went to a "real" shop. The compensation package for employees included only very minimal health insurance, with no provision for dependants, below-average salaries, very rigid work hours, minimal vacation time, all that kind of "stuff". CAn I say "Two sides to every coin"??

Rick,
At one time there was a 3rd kind (I know because I worked there). They gave you so much education (and travel) that your head nearly exploded. The compensation package was excellent (4 weeks vacation) the salary was pretty average though. We typically had people employed there because they enjoyed the work and there was really very little politics so much so that they stayed and almost no staff turnover. You had has much freedom as you wanted. The hours were typical and the people around you were generally nice people. They also kept on the cutting edge of IBM hardware and software. It kept you busy and learning all the time. There was very little finger pointing. One of the sysprogs was sent to Amsterdam for about a year to help them through a conversion. Another was sent down to Texas to help a subsidary with a capacity planning issue another was sent to a newspaper chain to suggest a new computer. We had our downside as well. A sysprog manager that called in sick 4 or 5 days a week to name one.

It was not a perfect job but it was the best job I ever had .

The company eventually relocated to Florida (due to politics in corporate). I have heard that most of the people that followed regretted it.
Ed