Pinnacle wrote:
While I can depreciate the fact that Ed and Chris are inconvenienced as software vendors from a support standpoint, most clients I deal with find the 3-5 year depreciation cycle on IBM mainframes to be way too short. I remember going to the IBM gripe, er, open discussion session at SHARE a few years back where a number of government customers were concerned about IBM shortening the life cycle of mainframe hardware. Most of them had a 1-2 year procurement process alone, which really put them behind the 8-ball by the time a decision was made to purchase. That's one of the reasons that so many government customers are not running the latest and greatest.

Tom,

I was there with you at that SHARE meeting. Bob Rogers and Mary Beth Bradley were fielding questions from angry customers for the entire session. That was a special (and especially bad) case and the customers had every right to be angry!

At that time, IBM put out three operating system releases, back-to-back, six months apart, each with different hardware requirements and very little notice. Specifically:

o OS/390 V2R9 ran on any ESA/390-capable hardware.
o OS/390 V2R10 implemented an Architectural Level Set (http://www.ibm.com/servers/s390/os390/plug.html) equivalent to 9672 G2. o z/OS 1.1 implemented a second Architectural Level Set (http://www.ibm.com/servers/s390/os390/plug1.html) equivalent to 9672 G5.

What IBM did was stupid. They screwed up badly. The customers revolted and IBM promised never to do it again. And they haven't.

The next hardware level set wasn't until z/OS 1.6, when z/Architecture -- the hardware introduced *seven* years ago in 2000 aka Freeway or z900 -- became a minimum requirement. There have been no similar level sets since that time.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc