From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 2:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM obsoleting mainframe hardware

Edward Jaffe astutely observes:
>According to the charts on www.tech-news.com (see "public library"),
the
>smallest G6 machine (available 2Q99) was a 9672-X17 cycling at 178 MIPS
>or 30 MSU. Seven years later, in spite of unprecidented industry-wide
>MIPS growth, the smallest z9BC (available 2Q06) is a 2096-A01 cycling
at
>only 26 MIPS or 4 MSU. I calculate a drop in MSU of about 86%.

Yes, although in fairness the drop to 26 MIPS and 4 MSUs occurred with
the
z890 Model 110.  The z9 BC continued this capacity setting.

You can softcap/subcap license 3 z/OS MSUs on any model, so 4 is not
actually the minimum.  zNALC is also available if you qualify.

Now that z/VSE V4 and MWLC are available, you can configure a z9 BC
Model
B01 (~38 MIPS) and pay subcapacity on that (softcap at roughly 50%).
It's
a substantial drop in entry price from z/VSE V3 (i.e. full capacity 26
MIPS) from what I can tell.

Service bureaus, consortia, partnerships, and other sharing arrangements
with LPARs and/or VMs serving multiple organizations should also see
these
same effects.  One 3 MSU LPAR is the same price as two LPARs totalling 3
MSUs, for example.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]