Not running IRLM at a higher dispatching priority runs counter to IBM's
advice.  Before goal mode, DB2 would write a warning message when IRLM
was not at a higher DP than the other DB2 address spaces.

The reason for this is that IRLM runs in SRB mode (asynchronously) as
opposed to cross-memory mode (synchonously).  Just take a look at any
IRLM under RMF and you will see the SRB time.  If it were XMEM time, it
would accrue to the requester's address space, not IRLM's.  The reason
it makes sense is that by virtue of z/systems architecture SRBs ALWAYS
run at a higher priority than TCBs.  IRLM must service ALL lock requests
as a common service at the highest priority.  Lock management cannot
tolerate running synchronously at the low priority of some
Johnny-come-lately unit of work.  In fact, z/OS will raise the DP of
lock/latch holders to avoid contending with lock/latch waiters, but the
actual locking operation runs at the priority of IRLM.  The reason you
get away with setting it at the same priority as the other DB2 address
spaces is that the operations are themselves miniscule compared to the
CPU consumption of the other address spaces.  Furthermore, while a task
is using DBM1 services in XMEM mode, the housekeeping overhead and I/O
management is largely performed under SRB mode in DBM1 at the priority
of DBM1.

As a point of reference, see Address space communication at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zoslnctr/v1r7/index.jsp?topic=/
com.ibm.zconcepts.doc/zconcepts_84.html.

It is true that dispatching priorities cannot be controlled directly in
goal mode, however SYSTEM and SYSSTC are by design the highest fixed
dispatching priorities in the system.  When the requester and provider
of service are separate entities, as they are in this case, common sense
dictates the provider run at a higher priority than the requester.

db