John McKown observes:
>Or you wanted a "cheap" z890 to be dedicated to running Linux only with
>no z/VM, just LPARs. There are 100% free (as in beer) versions of Linux
>which will run on the z890. Then hardware costs are the only costs. Of
>course, such software is not supported, but that may be OK to some
>people. Just mentioning it, for completeness.

This might make sense if you already own a z890.  It might also make sense
used.  For a new z890 order from the factory?

The z9 BC still has the exact same software option you describe, but you
get to run it on lower priced IFLs that are substantially faster, more
numerous (up to 7 instead of up to 4, or more generous sparing if you have
fewer), and with more memory expansion available (maximum 64 GB physical
per frame versus 32 GB).  And with lower cost two-port I/O cards, faster
I/O, improved crypto, program directed Linux re-IPL....  Well, you get the
idea.

Your mileage may vary.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]