-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 5:21 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Mainframe Blog Posting re: Mainframe Migrations to z

I'd like to draw IBM-MAINers' attention to the latest Mainframe Blog po=
st, specifically this one:

http://mainframe.typepad.com/blog/2007/06/todays-potpourr.html

and specifically item #4.  I'm always interested in hearing about "bett=
er mousetraps," even "old" ones, concerning migration of other
mainframes = to IBM System z.  I'm getting a lot of questions about that
lately.  As sa= id, blatant advertising is no problem with me if it's
good stuff that would=

help improve the migration experience.

<SNIP>

WANG/VS to z/OS: Let the PC handle the WP aspect and let z/OS handle the
DP aspect. Don't spend a million US$ on trying to migrate this. WANG
downloaded microcode to their workstations to change them from Word
Processing to Data Processing. There was no similar functionality under
S/370/ESA (back when I was doing this).

WANG machines implemented PD (Packed Decimal) while being ASCII.
Conversion to EBCDIC is fairly straight forward. And IFF I remember
correctly, FP on WAND/VS boxes was the same as used on S/360 FP.

Regards,
Steve Thompson