Ugaz, Rick wrote:
Hello,

I have a question regarding PAGTOTL parameter.  Our setting is set at
PAGTOTL=(20).  We currently have 12 local page datasets defined at IPL.
We would like to add 4 additional local page data sets from a new DASD
pool.  Then Page Delete/Drain the original 12.  This is necessary
because of a DASD migration we are in the process of.  We will then
"add" 12 new volumes from the new DASD pool.  Lastly, delete the four we
added at the beginning.

My question is this:  Does the PAGTOTL value reflect a cumulative number
of page adds?  Technically we will be adding 16 page volumes, in
addition to the 12 that were there at IPL.  This total value along with
the original 12 exceeds the PAGTOTL=(20) value.

After reviewing both the Init/Tuning guide and the MVS Commands manuals,
I came away with the idea that PAGTOTL is a value the reflects the total
number of page data sets that can be in use at any one time during the
IPL.  However I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

Rick

z/OS V1.7

AFAIK you are correct. The PAGTOTL limit is a total number of active page datasets, not the number of Page Adds allowed.

--
Mark Jacobs
Technical Services

Robert A. Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land
*Referring to the Auguste Rodin sculpture, Caryatid Who Has Fallen under Her
Stone