On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:05:41 -0700, Andrew N Wilt wrote:

>      I'm sorry, but there is no way that I know of to do that.
>
>IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 07/05/2007
>11:28:50 AM:
>
>> We've had a number of small DSS DUMP files written to tape that I want to
>> move to DISK. Unfortunately, it seems that the dump files on tape get
>>
>> Tom Chicklon

This is an instance of a more general problem:

To create on disk (preferably stream rather than CKD) an image
of a tape suitable for transmission by FTP BINARY even to a
non-IBM system, and from there recreating the original tape
with all labels and data sets intact.

CBT, perhaps?  SAS?  FATAR?

Didn't someone recently mention here a vendor who distributes
software via network in such an image format, along with a
utility to create a tape for SMP/E installation?

Alas, for me this is more academic than I'd like: after a recent
corporate acquisition we've outsourced our media production to
be done on squatty boxen, after outsourcing the squatty box
software development to a third entity.  To make this work, I'd
need to reverse engineer (unless specs are available) the
squatty box internal format.  Still, I'd like to be able to
bypass a FedEx step in the general case as we now can only for
LABEL=(nn,NL),RECFM=FB,...

-- gil