From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gerhard Postpischil
Sent: Monday, 9 July 2007 2:07 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Looking for sample TRANSMIT output files

Rick Fochtman wrote:
>                                2311 was a demountable disk that was
> SOMEWHAT similar in appearance to a 3340 drive; the last shop I was in

> that used them referred to them as "Maytags" 'cuz they loaded from the

> top. Also IIRC, IEBCOPY treated them just like any other DASD device.

The 2311, 2314, and both models of 3330 had top loading disks. I
wouldn't call either version of the 3340 similar, as it was in a sealed
enclosure, with a handle, we (ir)reverently referred to as a chamber
pot.

IEBCOPY suffers from a design decision made at the beginning of its life
- it has a built-in table of device characteristics and other constants,
as I found out when I investigated why the MVS 3.8j version was getting
errors processing 3390 PDSs. So the specific DASD supported depends
highly on the version of IEBCOPY; there is the additional problem that
IBM chose to re-use one of the type values (20.04 is used for the 9345
as well as one of the older units), so no one copy will support all
extant devices.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

new e-mail address: gerhardp (at) charter (dot) net

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

PLEASE NOTE: This internet email message has been checked for viruses
and appropriate content to ensure it complies with TABCORP's electronic
communication policy.

The information in this e-mail message and any files transmitted with it
are intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. The message and files may be
protected by legal professional privilege, or other legal rules. The
confidentiality of and privilege applying to this message and
files is not waived if this message or files has been sent to you by mistake.
If the reader of this message or files is not the intended recipient, you are
notified that retention, distribution or copying of this message and files are
strictly prohibited.  If you receive this message or files in error, please
notify us immediately by telephone or return e-mail and delete all copies
from your computer system. It is the recipient's responsibility to check this
message and files for viruses.

Thank you.