-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Johnny Luo
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: JOB STEP TASK and REGION parm

Hi,

<SNIP>

1. To get a job step task, you first need to have an authorized job step
task. It's interesting, like the classic egg-and-chicken problem.
Anyway, in Z/OS we can get our 'first-level' job step task using START
and LOGON command, and a batch job. And they all require a jcl where the
REGION parm can be specified.  Don't know whether extra interfaces
exist.

2. A job step task has its own TIOT and JSCB. And its TCBJSTCB points to
itself. This is the biggest difference I know between a job step task
and a normal task.  The result is that a job step task can get more
Independence as far as the its relationship with its mother is
concerned.

<SNIP>

I may have cut too much here, but I think you are confusing a few
things.

Your job step TCB (TASK) and all the others you were asking about are
all in the same address space. The REGION parameter affects all those
tasks in that address space.

Any TCB can build/have its own TIOT that is different from any other TCB
with in the Address Space. This probably is not a good thing to do,
particularly if you do not understand the whole I/O processing scheme in
"MVS".

Typically, we see ONLY ONE TIOT at the JOB STEP task (TCB) level and
this is then used by all the other TCBs attached below that physical
TCB. System TCBs above "your" TCB may do things a bit differently
because of needs that JES2/3 and the system may have for controlling
system resources.

I hope this helps you with your visualizing how things are constructed.

Regards,
Steve Thompson