-----------------------<snip>----------------------

Size is limited to 64 tracks, but not position on the  volume.

You obviously meant 64K tracks. The position on the volume is irrelevant if you allocate the PDS via some method other than ABSTR, in which case another constraint comes into play, namely the JCL restriction that "... the absolute track address must be a decimal number equal to or less than 65535." So "sometimes" position on the volume is limited to 64K.
I didn't know that ABSTR could be used to allocate a PDS. Was I wrong??