Darth Keller wrote:
Bruce Black wrote:

If you have to recover one or a few datasets from a backup, restore
from
a -27 can take longer than from a -3. Can be an issue when some over-excited application manager is watching over your shoulder.
I dare to disagree. Restore from backup does not depend on volume size.
It depends on dataset size, tape technology, >backup application and many other things, but why volume size ?
BTW: I'm using HSM, maybe this is the point.
--
Radoslaw Skorupka

IIRC, we were talking about full-volume DR type backups here.  If you have
to spin the backup to the end to find the dataset you're looking for, I
would think it would affect the recovery time if the volume were a mod-27
as opposed to a mod-3.
dd keller

OK, I now I understand. However IMHO this time increase is simply irrelevant. DR (full volume) backups are for DR (full volume) restores. Time to restore mod-27 is longer than time to restore mod-3, but time to restore 2TB in mod-3's should be comparable or *longer* than time to restore 2TB of data on mod-27's.
BTW: Regardless of volume size, RTO and RPO are very poor when restoring from
tape. Possibly, time to start the process is as long as time of recovery.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.