On 11 Jul 2007 12:46:12 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

> [...]

All that FBA would have to support is all libraries needed at IPL time
(means that PDSE has to be supported at IPL), something for
SYS1.NUCLEUS (my thought is just a very large IPL data set, Unix file
systems (maybe on unique, native UNIX volumes) and an enhanced set of
VSAM data sets.  These enhancements would include ESDS that could have
generation numbers and relative generations as well as larger than 44
character names and the names could be in Unicode.

>Why should IBM do this? It won't make them any money that I can see. It
>might even end up costing them money if the FBA versions of the 2107
>cost less than the ECKD versions.

z/OS is becoming increasingly unwieldy.  Data areas are increasing in
size.  People want names that are not tied to the current standard
(note that there should be little in current catalog management that
actually constrains a level to being no more than 8 bytes
unfortunately with should being the constraining word).  The VTOC has
long passed its best before date.  If z/OS is going to truly evolve to
new world instead of being a placeholder until AIX or the latest i
series operating system gets up to speed, serious work needs to be
done.  This is like the COBOL people not understanding why it has to
have XPLINK and 64 bit capability when the other components have it.

Clark Morris