The tracks towards the center have fewer sectors than the tracks towards the rim.

Really?

From: "McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Track size and maximum single volume data set size
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:08:23 -0500

IIRC, many have differing sized tracks. The tracks towards the center
have fewer sectors than the tracks towards the rim.

> I would think that there is still some validity to matching
> I/O requests
> to the PHYSICAL geometry even with emulation, RAID, striping, cache,
> etc.  Head movement must still count for something.

Not really very much in Enterprise class DASD subsystem. They are
generally configured with so much cache and advanced "read ahead"
software that output is "write in" in the cache and so is independant of
physical I/O. Reading can be affected, but the "read ahead" can usually
help significantly. I think today's mantra is to simply have so much
cache that the physical I/O is not significant to the response time of
the subsystem.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.