-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ken Porowski
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 2:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Links to decent 'why the mainframe thrives' article

The processor clock speed may be slower but it is running a different
instruction set and has the availability of other processors to offload
some of the functions (Crypto, I/O, etc.).

I would guess that a small stand alone 'benchmark' like you suggest
would almost always run faster on the alternative platforms.  What is
needed is to fully tax the platforms capabilities using a 'real world'
workload.  But of course my world is different than yours so my
benchmark is of little use to you as is just counting I/Os per sec,
connections per sec, pages served per sec etc.

<snip>

I agree. This was once done with Univac to show that it was faster than
the S/370. Mind you, when a floating-point intensive job was run on the
Univac, it stole the show. But for general computing purposes where
multiple tasks were done at the same time, the S/370 was the winner.

So the point is, use a data base with some large number of entries, run
the quarter-end processing for a "medium" sized construction supply
house or auto-parts company, while doing all the other stuff that the
server does.

There has to be some benchmarking workload that could be put together to
do throughput testing of a system to compare one to the other.

I'm willing to work on the idea if someone has something on z/OS that
could be ported to Windows. I don't have the COBOL compiler for *NIX
environments, so I can't handle that one.

Regards,
Steve Thompson