-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ron Wells
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 3:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Fw: catalog problem why?

Steve
can you share what you did...
<snip>

Well, it has been about 15 years now, but as I recall:

First you copy to DASD based on the LRECL/BLKSIZE you know the file to
have (NO translation). In my case it was on a TAPE and we just
IEBGENERed it to DASD. The file was Fixed Block (RECFM=FB), so that was
rather easy.

Meanwhile I had written a COBOL program to recognize the input records
so I could pick up the COMP-3 fields, and the second file and records
picked up the non-numeric data (two reads one for each FD so they stayed
in synch).

Ok, now the COMP-3 handling FD (DD) pointed to the DASD file with NO
TRANSLATION. The other DD used DCB=(OPTCD=Q...).

In reading the z/OS 1.7 JCL ref, it says that the data must be on TAPE.
I think that it means that if it is on tape, it can't have STD Labels.

I currently don't have any ASCII files to play with (nor do I have a
COBOL compiler available to me under z/OS). So right now I can't
recreate anything that I did.

But the other way to do it is to copy the data using IEBGENER with
OPTCD=Q to DASD (this assumes that either you do not have STD Labels,
OR, you can do NL/BLP) and then do it again with NO Translation.

If you need more, steve underscore thompson at stercomm dot com and I'll
do what I can.

Regards,
Steve Thompson