On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:03:49 -0700, Jack.Hamilton wrote:

>SAS can create a PDF file in a PS file as well as HFS and PDSE.  I think
>there was a restriction at one time, but not as of SAS 9.1.3.

SAS has long had a bad habit of performing I/O at too low a level
(EXCP vs. QSAM?) and/or performing excessive prevalidation.  At
one time, SAS wouldn't let me allocate its log or listing file to
a UNIX path.  There's no reason for such restrictions: they ought
simply do OPEN; PUT; ...; CLOSE.  If it all works, well and good;
if it fails, report the error.

-- gil