On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:21:23 -0400, John S. Giltner, Jr.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can the mainframe z900/z990/z9 compete head to head with Intel?
>IMHO, yes.
>
>Head to head.   You are talking about the same number of processors and
>same amount of "RAM/Central Storage".

I don't understand why the comparison is always technological.  Why not
compare what the costs to acquire, provision, operate and maintain
the "system" over, say, 4 years?

This is the TCO stuff, including staff, software license costs, electricity,
floor
space, etc.  Head to head where it counts: IT spending.

Do people *really* care that much about MHz or GB?  I figured folks were
primarily interested in affordability.  Can you get the function you need, with
the qualities of service you require, at a price you can afford?  Can your
infrastructure absorb/accomodate growth?

If all you want is a web server, don't buy a mainframe.   If all you want is 5
webservers, don't buy a mainframe.   If, on the other hand, you want 400
webservers, buy a mainframe.   If all you want is 50 servers, buy a small
mainframe.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM