On 17 Jul 2007 12:09:37 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dean Kent) wrote:

>I agree with your first point, but not your second.  There *is* a reason
>that SPEC (and other benchmarking organizations) exist.   These customers
>want a common performance metric to identify the value they are getting for
>the money they spend.   Yes, reliability, fault-tolerance, data integrity,
>etc. are all factors too - but the mainframe does not have a lock on these
>features, other platforms do as well, including those based on x86.

If I was making a decision about my shop's hardware, a Standard
benchmarking test is a start, as long as they are benchmarking real
data processing - but I'm really interested in benchmarking my
particular needs.

The System is what determines my throughput, response time, and
capacity.   If a PC has a faster chip than a mainframe, I cannot
assume that it will give me better response time with a thousand
concurrent users.